Dr. Cooke's Medical Office
  
Dr. Robert Cooke’s Medical Office is owned by the Holmdel Historical Society.  It is located on McCampbell Road, next to the Village School.

The medical office was moved from its original location (across the street) in about 1909 and moved a second time to its current spot, 67 McCampbell Road.  Construction dates to pre-1824. 

CONSTRUCTION FEATURES:

Exterior Walls - Timber frame with original clapboard
Interior Walls - Hand hewn lath boards with plaster onstudding with molded cornices
Chimney - original brick laid in running bond, cap is corbelled
Fireplace - modern brick
Roof - modern gable, wood shingles
Floor - modern over old floor boards
Porch - original platform and new steps
Windows - some original glass, some replaced
Doors - carved leaf corner blocks
Front Door - incised ornamental pattern above front door
Front Door Sidelights - muntins made of wood with metal ornaments at intersections
  
DONATIONS APPRECIATED
CLICK HERE!

1823


Dr. Cooke  used the medical office for examinations and surgery from 1823 to up to when he died, 1867.  His son, Dr. Henry G. Cooke, continued using the office until 1897.  In 1909, Dr. Henry Cooke sold McCampbell property to Theron McCampbell. ​​

Theron McCampbell paid $18,000 for The Cooke's Estate which included the 120 acres, the mansion, the medical office and the other buildings.  The McCampbell's moved the medical office onto a brick foundation, nnorth of it's original location and turned the building so it fronted on McCampbell Road. In 1940, Theorn McCampbell built a kiln inside for Mrs. Sarah McCampbell to use as a pottery studio.


 

  
 INFORMATION ON
DR. COOKE'S GENEOLOGY
In 1962, the widow , Mrs. McCampbell sold the estate to Wilbur and Edith Trapp.   In 1986, the Trapp's sold the property to developers DiMisa and Acquaviva.  The Trapp's donated Dr. Cooke's Medical Office to the Holmdel Historical Society with the condition that the office be moved off the property.  DiMisa and Acquaviva agreed to move the office on a gentleman's handshake.  

Several years later, and with the help of Mayor Ernie Cote, the developers hired W.A. Building Movers and Contractors, Inc. and moved Dr. Cooke's Medical Office on July 21, 1994 to its current location.

The Holmdel Historical Society opened Dr. Cooke's Medical Office to the public, for tours, on April 9, 2009.

The Medical Office

The small two-story, three room building exhibits several features typical of Georgian style architecture, including the rigid symmetrical design, hipped roof, centralfire place, horizontally aligned 6/6 double-sashed windows, and cornice with dentrils.

General Charateristics

The building exhibits rigid symmetry. The first floor of the medical office measures 18.5" x 18.5" square with a center gable second floor.  The windows, roof railings and porch columns are aligned and parallel.  The front porch is pedimented and finely notched.  The second story gable is also pedimented and finely notched. The front door, second floor gable, corbelled chimeny and pediments are all center aligned.
  
Features include:-
 
  • The cement block foundation was installed in 1994
  • Exterior walls are timber frame with horizontal running weatherboard painted white. 
  • There still exists some red brick and mortar between studs inside the walls.
  • Interior walls and ceilings are plaster on hand-hewin wood lath and painted white.
  • Chimney brick laid in running bond and the chimney cap is corbelled.
  • The fireplace hearth is modern brick.
  • Second story roof shape is gabled with wood shingles in 1940
  • Second floor roof was replaced with slate tiles in 1994.
  • Flooring on the first floor is modern laid over old floor boards.
  • Flooring on second floor is pine boards attached with old nails.
  • Knob and tube wiring exists but is not functional
  • Modern electric wiring and baseboard heating system installed in 1996
  • Rafters are numbered with Roman Numerals – some rafters still have tree bark
  • Interior door knobs are white crackly porcelain
  • Interior door locks are square, thin metal boxes measuring 3.5” x 4.5” and are locked or unlocked by a skeleton key.
Entrance Door
The front door measures 2'8" wide.  The original handle and lock were stolen and replaced with a modern knob and lock (2008).  There are sidelights on both sides of the front door.  Above the door and sidelights is a carved relief incised headboard.  The door side windows have wood muntins and six different metal ornaments at intersections.
Windows
There are six windows on the first floor and three windows on the second floor. Some window panes are original and some have been replaced.

One original window on the first floor rear wall was removed and replaced before 1940.  The other window on the rear wall is probably original measuring 1'9" wide.  

The window trim extends to the floor with closet doors under two of the windows. 

​There are carved pattern corner blocks measuring 5.5"x5.5" at the interior front door, exam room door and stairway door and window heads on the first floor in the reception room.

There are roman numerals carved into beams/rafters.  Tree bark still on some beams.  Brick chimney top is corbelled.  
Porch
The front porch is symmetrical in design measuring 5' wide x 8" length, with parallel bench seats, railings and columns on both sides of the front door.  The columns are 8'6" height.  The bench seats are 58" long x 13.5" wide.  The wooden porch railings are 36" high with rectangular spindles that are different than the rounded roof railing spindles.


Alterations and Changes
  • One interior closet wall and door removed before 1940.
  • One pottery kiln added before 1940.
  • Several glass window panes replaced with modern glass.
  • Roof replaced.
  • Electrical system added.
  • Microlam installed for support inside rafters on second floor.
  • Shutters missing on both rear windows.


RECEPTION ROOM:
You enter into the reception room with a central fireplace.  There are only two doors in this area.  One is a stairway behind the door, at the back, by the fireplace and the other is the side room used as a narrow, well lit Exam Room and/or Office, which has a small closet. 

To the left of the fireplace, a door and closet wall was removed before 1940.  A Kiln was installed for Dr. Cooke's wife to do her pottery.  

Upstairs is a room with a closet that was fitted with a bed for the patient recovery, isolation  and/or for Doctor Robert W. Cooke’s bedroom.
FIREPLACE:

The fireplace is 42” wide with modern brick.  There is a wood mantle measuring  8” x 42”

OFFICE/OPERATING ROOM:

The Exam room/Office is narrow and measures 80” wide by 14’6” in length and is well lit with three windows.  There is no decorative molding on the interior side of the three windows, entrance door or closet door.

STAIRCASE:

The staircase is tight with narrow 9” high triangular shaped steps, one platform and two left hand turns.  There is a first floor entrance door to the staircase.

UPSTAIRS BEDROOM:

Beautiful, painted, pine floors – some boards being as long as 14’10”.  The width varies with 13” being the widest and 1” thick.



  

RELOCATING DR. COOKE'S MEDICAL OFFICE


  


Inch by inch, as everyone held their breath, the trailer began to move.  Dr. Cooke’s office rocked, shuttered and then leveled off.  A sigh of relief and positive expressions were heard among the crowd.  The worst was over and the move was a complete success.

The trailer moved across to the Village School parking lot then took a wide turn toward Middletown Road.  The trailer then moved toward McCampbell Road, almost in a symbolic salute to Dr. Robert W. Cooke’s homestead.  The trailer then was put into reverse to enable the trailer to back up to the new site of Dr. Cooke’s Office.

A young child’s sign “Welcome to your new Home” placed at the new site awaited in anticipation for the arrival of Dr. Cooke’s Medical Office.


​​

THE MOVE

​​  
It was the 20th day of July 1994, a heavy mist like fog hung over the area.  As the dawn broke, the Dr. Cooke’s office seemed to know that this was a new beginning.  It seemed to look through the morning mist with anticipation, setting atop a huge trailer, waiting anxiously for the utility companies to lower its cables that blocked its passage, a passage that would take it a short distance across McCampbell Road to its’ new home on the Village School property.  We were certain that Dr. Cooke, if it were within his power, would thank the Holmdel Township Board of Education for allowing the office to remain on his beloved land, within 500 feet of its’ original location and within 100 FEET OF THE PARSONAGE OF THE Old Dutch Reform Church, the place where he met Sara Gansveoort, a beautiful young woman of Albany, NY who would become his wife.

By 9:30 am, Bell Atlantic and jersey Central Power and Light had lowered their cables to the street level.  The moving contractor began setting large wooden beams across the roadway to permit passage across without damage to curbing and road surface.  Holmdel police were on hand to assist with traffic and safety control.  The sun was rising and the morning mist had begun to dissipate.  It was going to be a great day.  A small crowd of onlookers and supporters, wellwishers all were on hand to witness the event.

Slowly the trailer inched its way through the opening of the fence toward the curb.  Additional block were put in place to keep the long, low trailer bed from scarping on the surface as the trailer moved down the incline to the road surface.  Very slowly Dr. Cooke’s office was moved across the road to the distant curb.  As the rear of the trailer climbed the curb, there was a sudden tilt to the right, a sudden “Awe” and anticipation overtook the crowd.  It appeared that Dr. Cooke’s Office might slide off the trailer and be destroyed.  The trailer haulted, moving crew examined the situation, reset additional blocks under the right rear wheels and prepared to continue the move.


​​
 VISIT DR. COOKE'S GENEALOGY 
Compiler: Gregory Cooke,
West Jordan, Utah

PICTURES OF DR. COOKE'S MEDICAL OFFICE


 VISIT DR. COOKE'S GENEALOGY SITE
Compiler: Gregory Cooke,
West Jordan, Utah
​​  

​​
 
co