THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
 LOCATED IN HOLMDEL, NJ
  
  
There are six entries (five buildings and one structure) located in Holmdel, NJ that are included in the National Register of Historic Places – the Nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation.

Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archeological resources.  Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering and culture.  The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of Interior.

Holmdel Sites:-

Covenhoven House – 6 Van Brackle
#74001176 - Also known as Kouvenhoven Homestead .  This home was added to the National Registry List in 1974.

Holmes-Hendrickson House – Corner of Longstreet and Roberts Road
#78001776 - Added to the National Registry List in 1978.  This house is owned and operated by Monmouth County Historical Association and tours are available between May – September.

Longstreet Farm – 44 Longstreet Road
#79003255 – Added to the National Registry List in 1979.  This Farm is owned and operated by Monmouth County Park Systesm.

  Dutch Reformed Church – 43 Main Street
#80002506 – Added to the National Registry List in 1980.  Now privately owned by Weichert Realtors.

Horn Reflector Antenna – Crawford Corner Facility
#89002457 – Added to the National Registry List in 1989.  Corporately owned by Alcatel-Lucent.

Upper Meeting House of the Baptist Church – 40 Main Street (Rte. 520)
#87002573 – Added to the National Registry List in 1987.  This Church is now called the Holmdel Community United Church of Christ.
  
  1. Longstreet Farm
    2
    Longstreet Farm
  2. Dutch Reformed Church
    3
    Dutch Reformed Church
  3.  Upper Meeting House of the Baptist Church
    4
    Upper Meeting House of the Baptist Church
  4. Longstreet Foliage
    6
    Longstreet Foliage
  5. Covenhoven House
    0
    Covenhoven House
  6. Hendrickson House
    1
    Hendrickson House
  7. Hendrickson House View of Holmdel Park
    7
    Hendrickson House View of Holmdel Park
  8. The Hendrickson Sign
    8
    The Hendrickson Sign
Bayonet Farm
The Bayonet Farm residence has maintained its function a working agricultural farm while transforming from a quaint farmhouse to a country estate.  The main Bayonet Farm residence was built in the early 19th century when James McGee purchased the farm. Part of the house dates back over 200 years and land titles go back to the original patent of 1677. 
In 1936, Laura Harding bought the farm with approximately 60 acres of land. Miss Harding was born in Philadelphia and raised in Rumson. She had a brief career on the stage with the Berkshire Playhouse and the Theater Guild. She became close friends with Katherine Hepburn, who visited her often in Holmdel. She had a distinguished career of social service with MCOSS and served on the Board of Riverview Hospital. She was active in efforts to preserve the rural aspect of Holmdel and was instrumental in Holmdel's acquisition of Cross Farm.

In 1985, Laura Harding sold a part of Bayonet Farm, which had by that time expanded through several land purchases to 140.86 acres, to the Holmdel Township for $1.6 million for purposes of recreation, health, horticulture and public gardens to preserve and conserve open spaces, bird sanctuaries, arboretums, nature and equitation trails and to allow pasturing of farm animals and growing of farm crops.

This property was purchased with funding assistance provided by the State's Green Acres program. Under the terms of the sale, Miss Harding retained life rights to the farm, where she continued to reside until her death in 1994. In addition, Laura Harding and her sister, Catherine Harding Tailer donated to the Holmdel Township another 90 acres of farmland across the road from Bayonet Farm with similar life rights.

____________________________________




Bayonet Farm

The Holmes-Hendrickson
House

The Holmes-Hendrickson House , built circa 1754, reflects a merger of English and Dutch style houses and is a testament to the cultural heritage of its occupants. The exterior façade and interior floor plan incorporate design characteristics inherent in both construction forms. The furnishings further indicate a blending of traditional Dutch ways with the dominant Anglican colonial culture and are representative of a prosperous farm family.

Although the house no longer stands on its original site, it is a remarkable document of 18th century vernacular architecture, never having been significantly altered or converted to heat, plumbing or electricity.

Old Manor Farm


 Old Manor Farm is located on the south side of Bethany Road in the Dorsettown Area, now the Old Manor area and was originally the home of Sarah Browne Mott.  The house was built by the Mott Family in the late 1700's.  Sarah Mott sold the house and farm with 120 acres to John O. Stillwell in 1812.  In 1965 it was sold to Vincent & Marie Maneri where they raised nine children.  The current owner is Peter Maneri and the home sits on four acres.  The remaining 116 acres was sold to a developer named William F. Friedlander who built the Old Manor section of Holmdel.​​

There was a slave house on Old Manor Farm which is still standing and in fair condition.  It is now a barn.   It is probably the only one remaining in Holmdel.

The other known slave houses in Holmdel were:-

1.  The house on the corner of Laurel Avenue and Holland Road - owned by the Krass Family.

2.  The Ackerson residence of John and Helen was built in 1848 in the area known as Deep Cut.  This residence has been torn down. 

____________________________________

Landmark Homes In Holmdel  - Built before 1877

This list was prepared in 1977 wherein the homeowners could document that their home was built prior to 1877.
Bethany Road
59 - Old Manor Farm - c.1693

Crawfords Corner Road
34 - Bown-Crawford, Holmford, Lukbert - 1790
50 - John S. Longstreet Farm - 1845
78 - Stout-Hendrickson House - c.1690
84 - Hendrikson, Carson, Heath, 1873
108 - St. Catharine's Church, 1873

Everett Road
293 - Krugh, 1873
301 - Wick,  Hariker, Sorrentiono House- 1850

Hillcrest Rd.
40 - Carhart, A. Santopietro - 1873

Holland Rd.
205 and 207 - Hendrickson, Krauss - 1694

Holmdel Road
14   - Longstreet, Mount - 1873
14A - Crawford, MacDonough - 1850
742 - Greek Revival House, John Ackerson, William Marl Farm, - 1860
745 - Jim Ackerson Farm - c1865
754 - Crawford Farm, Van Hofwegen - 1700
809 - Crawford House, 1900
844 - Brown, Boyce - c.1822
859 - Irish Tenant House, Rev. Dean - 1873
861 - Giordano - 1873
868 - Centryy House - 1873
887 - Irish Tenant House - 1873
915 - Johnson, Conover Farm, Harding - 1873
939 - Schenck Farm - 1800
953 - Hop Brook Farm - 1820
971 - Heyer House - 1873
       - Old Village School No. 1 - 1841

Ladwood Drive
14 - Heyer House - 1873








Laurel Avenue
717 - Hendrickson, Potosky - 1873

Line Road
6 - Stoecker - 1771
11 - Blacksmith Shop - 1863
533 - Verbracket Homestead - 1709

Longstreet Road
24 - Schenck Tenant House - 1868
50 - Longstreet Farm, MC Parks - 1700

Main Street
32 - Holmes - 1857
51 - McClees Harness Shop - c.1873
85 - Dutch Parsonage - 1760
754 - Baptist Churh - 1668
       - Ely, Fogarty - 1860
       - Hance, Taylor, Zellers - 1800
       - Dr. Robert Ely - 1860
         - Brown, Greco - 1851

McCampbell Road
67 - Dr. Cooke's Medical Office - 1823
68 - Cooke's Residence, McCampbell, Trapp - 1824
68 - Ramanessin Hill House - 1790
68 - Lilac House - 


Middletown Road
41 - Stout House, Bayonet Farm - 1789

   - Swanson, Hendrickson, Harding - 1873
67 - Magee Farm - c1760
70 - Burman Stillwell Homestead - 1767

82 - Antonides Farm, 1874
89 - Schenck House, Bridges - 1760
     - Schanck House. Ryder - 1700
  




Old Mill Road
3 - Sutphen, Everhart - 1873
5 - Van Mater House - 1800
11 - Dr. Cooke's Residence, R. Phillips - 1820

Pleasant Valley Road
5 - Ely's Mill, Zellers - 1829

Red Hill Road
298 - Golden, Brandner - c.1740
​470 - Potters, Osbourne Farmhouse - 1840

Roberts Road
25  - Longstreet House - 1775

Route 34
111  -   Molzon, Smock House - c.1720
188 - Holmdel Nursing Home - 1874

Route 35
   - Thorne - 1795

Schanck Road
18 - Kovenhoven, Becker - 1699
27 - Schanck Homestead, Nelson - 1791

Stillwell Road
84 - HHS, St. Catharine's Church - 1879
86 - Stilwaggon, Joel Mowery - 1873
175 - Bennett, Hoffman - 1873

Telegraph Hill Road
70 - Huff, Schusler - 1812
119 - Holmstead - 1700

Tulip Lane
20 - Michaud - 1873

Van Brackle Road
6 - Clover Hill Farm, Garrigan - 1770