THE SCHANCK FAMILY

Captain John Schanck (1745-1834)

  
John was born at Pleasant Valley near Holmdel. His parents were Garret Schanck (1712-1757) and Jane W. Couwenhoven (1714-1792).  John was a fuller, tanner, cordwainer, farmer, and sawmill operator.  He served in the Continental Army during the American Revolution and was captain of the Militia.

In 1767 John married Mary Denise (1750-1829), the daughter of Tunis Denise and Francinke Hendrickson and had fourteen children.



DeLafayette Schanck (1781-1862)
Son of John & Mary Schanck


DeLafayette was born in Pleasant Valley and married in 1805 to Eleanor Conover (1789-1873), the daughter of Garret Conover (1726-1812) and Antije Schenck (1753-1803).

DeLafayette was a successful farmer and businessman. He moved his family to Middletown Point (now Matawan) in 1815 and opened a tannery and crrying business.  In 1830 he moved to Holmdel where he operated a large farm until 1855.  He was elected Freeholder of Atlantic Township (now Colts Neck Township) in 1847.


​DeLafayette was active in the business affairs of Monmouth County. He purchased the Pavilion Hotel in Keyport in 1851, where the family then lived until his death. He was an organizer and first President of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank in Middletown Point, and was a substantial investor in local turnpikes, steamboat lines, and real estate. He was also a benefactor of the Keyport Reformed Dutch Church. DeLafayette and Eleanor Schanck had twelve children, of which their son Garret Conover is the one most prominently represented in these papers.



Garret Conover Schanck (1806-1888)
 Son of DeLafayette and Eleanor Schanck

Garret not only was a minister of the Dutch Reformed Church, he was a farmer, a real estate investor, and a genealogical historian of Monmouth County Dutch families. A graduate of Rutgers College (1828), he was admitted to the New Brunswick Theological Seminary (1829), and was licensed by the Classis of New Brunswick in 1832.

Rev. Schanck was an itinerant preacher until he became pastor at Walpack, NJ (1834-1835), Clover Hill, NJ (1835-1837) and finally at the Reformed Church in Pompton Plains, NJ (1837 - 1852).

In 1834, Rev. Schanck and Sarah Ann Hendrickson (1816-1843), the daughter of William Hendrickson (b.1787) and Eleanor DuBois (1792-1879) married. They had four children.

He then married Jane McCormick (1824-1902), the daughter of Hugh McCormick and Jane Welch, in 1846. They also had four children.

Garret C. Schanck gave up the ministry after 1852 and returned to Colts Neck to farm and invest in real estate. In 1842 he replaced his father as director of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank. He also served as president of the Freehold and Keyport Plank Road Company. In 1866 he was elected a trustee of Rutgers College.

Rev. Schanck traveled extensively throughout the United States. His publications include the History of Mandeville Families and The Story of Pompton Plains. He is buried in Old Brick Church in Marlboro graveyard.